Saturday, January 3, 2015

Audiobook Review: Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn

I'm a "new" Star Wars fan that still prefers Episodes IV, V & VI to the prequels. I remember seeing Star Wars as a kid but it wasn't until I was an adult that I re-discovered it, along with a love of science fiction.

I liked the look of this one, especially since Han Solo and Chewbacca are two of my favorite characters in the original movies. Scoundrels is set after A New Hope and before Empire Strikes Back. Han has survived the adventure of blowing up the Death Star and still on the run from Jabba the Hutt. When he is asks to take part in a great scheme, that will result in a lot of treasure. He puts together a eclectic team to help him, including his friend, Lando.

As with any adventure a lot goes wrong, and it was interesting to see how it unfolded. It was like the heist to end all heists and it reminded me of a science fiction version of Oceans Eleven, with a unbelievable twist at the end.

I liked learning about each of the characters involved in the heist, and how they are affected by the war against the Empire. It makes reference to the events of A New Hope but Luke and Leia do not make an appearance. I liked hearing more about the complexity of the friendship between Lando and Han, and watching them in action.

This is the first Star Wars book I've listened to. I previously read other Star Wars books and I really liked the narration. Marc Thompson does a great job, and at times I found it hard to believe that it wasn't Harrison Ford speaking as Han Solo.

This was a great audiobook for me to dip my toe into Star Wars on audio and I will definitely be back for more.

About this Audiobook:
Written by: Timothy Zahn
Narrated by: Marc Thompson
Length: 14 hrs and 1 min
 Series: Star Wars (Novels)
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:01-01-13
Publisher: Random House Audio

No comments:

Post a Comment