Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Audiobook Review: Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett

Summary from Audible: 
Right before the wise old wizard Drum Billet died, he passed on his magical staff of power to the newborn eighth son of an eighth son. Unfortunately, Drum Billet never bothered to check the gender of the newborn baby, and it turns out to be a girl. Now his chauvinistic colleagues are forced to deal with a young girl who has all the qualifications to join their all-male profession. Terry Pratchett's third Discworld novel, Equal Rites, asks many provocative questions about magic, where it goes, where it comes from, and why. 

My Re-read review:
I'm a big fan of the Discworld series and I've been reading them for over 15 years. I decided to start re-reading this series late last year, by experiencing it in audio format for the first time. Equal Rites is the second book I've listened on audio and I have to say I'm really enjoying the listening experience.

As I have read (and re-read and re-read) this story many times I will concentrate on my thoughts on the audiobook. Celia Imrie does a great job of portraying the voices. The witches are some of my favorite characters in the Discworld series. In Equal Rites we get to meet Esk, who is to become the first female wizard (or so she hopes) and the brusque but lovable witch, Granny Weatherwax. They travel to Ankh Morpork to enrol Esk in the Unseen University. 

I loved hearing their journey and listening to the various voices Celia Imrie uses to portray the eclectic characters on the Disc. It was a fun experience and I'm thrilled to see that she narrates Wyrd Sisters, another Discworld story containing the witches.

Equal Rites was a great re-read. I never get sick of this series and I'm looking forward to experiencing them all again this year.

About this Audiobook:
Written by: Terry Pratchett
Narrated by: Celia Imrie
Length: 7 hrs and 43 mins
 Series: Discworld, Book 3
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:12-16-99
Publisher: ISIS Audio Books

No comments:

Post a Comment