Thursday, November 14, 2013

Audiobook Review: Small Favor by Jim Butcher

Harry has been carrying out his job as a Warden on the White Council. Life is calm. There have been no wars or death threats recently, but this is about to change. Mab, Queen of the White Court of the Sidhe, has called in a favor from Harry and he must go into battle against the Denarians to save the life of mobster, Johnny Marcone, and also the life of a young child, who is known as The Archive. This adventure will test his strengths and those of Michael Carpenter, a Knight of the Cross, and Kincaid, a paid assassin, who is acting as The Archive's guardian.

I've loved this series since I picked up Storm Front and discovered the short lived tv-series. Right up to and including White Night I've read every book as paperback, but I decided to pick up the audiobook version of Small Favor as I'm trying to listen to more audiobooks. Let's talk about the story and then I will share my thoughts about the narrator.

The story is dynamite. I got really interested in the concept of the "black council" in White Night. A council that is a secret and is working against the White Council. Harry doesn't know too many details about this suspected Council but he has shared his thoughts with a few people. In Small Favor we learn that the Black Council might be spread further than Harry initially expected, right through to the Supernaturals working against each other. We also learn about The Archive, who is a magical construct and repository of all knowledge and wisdom. The Denarians want The Archive to turn her into one of the "Fallen" and Harry and his friends set out to save her.

There was so much going on in Small Favor that I felt like I was almost holding my breath the entire time as I listened to the book. There is adventure, supernaturals (although less vampires than usual) and hidden plots. I don't want to spoil the story for anyone that hasn't read it yet, but it is all awesome and cements my thoughts that this is one of the best urban fantasy series out there. It is not just focused on vampires or angels or faeries - it is everything and it is fantastic!

I loved learning more about The Archive and towards the end we find a revelation about a comparison between The Archive and Bob (a skeleton head spirit that resides with Harry) that left me wanting to pick up the next book right now to find out what happens next.

James Marsters (Spike from Buffy tv show for those that have watched it) is the narrator for this book and he is fantastic. He is the voice of Harry Dresden. After having listened to him narrate this book I will definitely be listening to the rest of the books on audio now. He does the voices just perfectly and I love the tone he uses when Harry screams out his spells in battle.

I recommend this series, but I highly recommend listening to it on audio. James Marsters definitely makes this series even better, if that is possible!

About this Audiobook:
Written by: Jim Butcher
Narrated by: James Marsters
Length: 13 hrs and 50 mins
Series: The Dresden Files, Book 10
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:01-14-09
Publisher: Penguin Audio

No comments:

Post a Comment