Monday, November 18, 2013

Audiobook Review: Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

Please Note: This review refers to events in the first two books, Across the Universe and A Million Suns, but no spoilers to the conclusion of this series.

In the final book in this series, Elder and Amy have left Godspeed with those that want to start a new life on Centuri-Earth and of course, all the military and scientists still frozen in the cryo chambers. Those that have elected to stay on Godspeed remain behind, and Elder and Amy look to the future. They know they will face monsters on Centuri-Earth, creatures they’ve never met before, but they know it is a risk they have to take. However, what they don’t expect is to face a war with the “frozens”, those that were selected for this mission with military and science backgrounds, who are determined to take over control and make all the decisions. With Amy’s father, taking the role as leader, Commander Martin and Elder come up against each other as they fight for their lives not just amongst each other but the monsters (and possibly aliens) on Centuri-Earth.

I really enjoyed the first two books in this series. I don’t read that much YA science fiction, despite being a huge fan of adult science fiction. I love the concept of this book – a ship being sent hundreds of years to colonize another planet. Amy was awoken before her time from her cryo chamber and a power war raged on the ship Godspeed. Now that is all behind her, as she and Elder land on Centuri-Earth.

Starting with the landing on Centuri-Earth to the fight with the monsters, aliens and internal fighting with Commander Martin, every second of Shades of Earth was action packed. I literally couldn’t stop listening to the audiobooks as my heart sped up with all the adventure, betrayals and emotions in this final book in the series. The plot twists were aplenty, and there were some that I predicted and some that I didn’t even see coming. However, I enjoyed every second of it and loved the conclusion.

Amy as a character has grown on me, and it really wasn’t until Shades of Earth that I started to like Elder. In the previous two books he seemed a little immature and whiny, but really came into his own on Centuri-Earth making those tough decisions that only a leader can make.

Shades of Earth was a great conclusion to this trilogy. I don’t want to go in too much about the monsters and aliens as I don’t want to spoil this for readers, but I did like all the twists and turns and how it turned back to events that happened on Godspeed, with the Phydus.

I read the first two books in this series and opted to listened to the audiobook for the final book and wow! I loved the narrators. I’m glad they chose to have a female narrator for Amy and a male narrator for Elder, and I thought they both did a exceptional job with this fast-paced story. All in all a very enjoyable listen and I can’t wait to see what Beth Revis delivers next.

About this Audiobook: 
Written by: Beth Revis 
Narrated by: Tara Carrozza 
Length: 11 hrs and 8 mins 
Series: Across the Universe, Book 3 
Unabridged Audiobook 
Release Date:01-15-13 
Publisher: Penguin Audio

No comments:

Post a Comment