Friday, November 29, 2013

Audiobook Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Beatrice Prior lives in Chicago. A Chicago far into the future where the city is divided into five factions based on virtues - Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). She has grown up as Abnegation but she doesn't feel like she is selfless. On her sixteenth year she will undergo a aptitude test to determine where she belongs and what faction she will live the rest of her life. However her aptitude test shows that she is "divergent", meaning she doesn't lean towards one particular faction but to three of them. It will be her choice which faction to choose and she chooses to leave Abnegation behind and join the Dauntless. Becoming a Dauntless member though seems like a test to the death as she has to fight with her fellow initiates, survive attempts on her life and face her fears. And the end of her initiation could well just be the beginning of a war.

I think you'd have to have lived in a cave to not have heard about Divergent. There is a movie coming out in 2014 and the final book in the trilogy was released last month. I'd previously avoided all the hype and concentrated on other books on my shelves, but decided it was time to see if this debut lives up to the hype. Guess what? It does!! Divergent is a powerful YA dystopian book and I'm really hoping the movie will do the book justice because the book was amazing.

Beatrice "Tris" is a great character. She's young and determined. She knows that leaving her family and Abnegation behind will be difficult but she wants to find out where she belongs. Even though she's the smallest of the initiates she's determined to make it, even if that means fighting her new friends. I also really liked Four, our male protagonist. He seems tough on the outside but he isn't fearless and has his own issues. I don't want to give too much away but his past and how he got the nickname "Four" is really interesting.

I really liked the dystopia Chicago. It is clear at the end of Divergent that this Chicago is on the brink of war and I can't wait to start Insurgent to see what is going to happen to all the factions and where Tris and Four fit into this. I'm also curious about what is outside the outskirts of Chicago. They only mention a few times outside of Chicago so I'm hoping we learn more about this in the next book.

I listened to Divergent on audiobook and I loved it. It was my first time listening to Emma Galvin and I really liked the narration. She narrates the next two books and I'm looking forward to listening to her narration.

About this Audiobook:
Written by: Veronica Roth
Narrated by: Emma Galvin
Length: 11 hrs and 11 mins
 Series: Divergent, Book 1
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:05-03-11
Publisher: Harper Audio

No comments:

Post a Comment