Friday, November 29, 2013

Audiobook Review: Doctor Who: The Tenth Planet

In his final adventure before his very first regeneration, the Doctor and his companions, Polly and Ben, land at the South Pole. They are greeted by the discovery of a new planet, eerily similar to Earth, from which the famed "Cybermen" appear. The Cybermen are determined to take over the station and will kill anyone in their way. However, the stakes are raised even higher when their failing planet, Mondas, becomes the centre of a plan to blow it up.

I've been a Doctor Who fan for so long that I'm not even sure when I became such a fan. The show has been around for fifty years now and I haven't been around for quite that long, so it's been around all my life. The great thing about being a fan of audiobooks is that I can listen to radio plays and novels on audio, especially while I'm eagerly awaiting the next episode of Doctor Who on tv.

William Hartnell's appearance as the First Doctor is way before my time, but I've seen some tv episodes with him and I decided he'd be a good place to start reading some of the novels. In "Doctor Who and the Tenth Planet" this is his first regeneration and the first appearance of the Cybermen. It's a great adventure and it's fun to see the interaction between the Doctor, his companions, Ben and Polly, and how they get out of the mess. It's interesting that in all the adventure the sonic screwdriver is only vaguely mentioned once, as Ben tells a crew member that he has a "screwdriver" that may help deactivate the bomb!! For a lot of this episode the Doctor is in failing health and it's really up to Polly and Ben to save the day.

The audio is fantastic. It's narrated by Anneke Wills, who plays Polly, and I really felt like I could be back in the 1960's and listening to this play on the radio. I loved the sound effects used and the interview with Anneke Wills at the end was a fantastic bonus. She talks about William Hartnell's failing health during the filming of the actual episode and the regeneration.

If you're a Doctor Who fan I strongly suggest listening to this one on audio. It was a super fun episode and great on audio.

About this Audiobook:
Written by: BBC Audiobooks
Narrated by: Anneke Wills
Length: 1 hr and 46 mins
 Radio/TV Program
Release Date:02-06-06
Publisher: BBC Worldwide Limited

No comments:

Post a Comment