Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Audiobook Review: Sisterhood of Dune by Kevin J Anderson & Brian Herbert

The Battle of Corrin is long over, and the Imperium is still in recovery mode. It's been 83 years since the last thinking machine was destroyed, and the Emperor is now Salvatore Corrino. The descents of Harkonnen are still seeking vengeance against the Atreides, as they live exiled and in disgrace. The schools of the Imperium are trying to make headway: the Mentats school, the Sisterhood and the Suks. With Manford Torondo leading the charge of the Butlerians and trying to find (and destroy) any last remains of technology, its a very fragile Imperium. A Imperium trying to recover and forge a new way for the future.

I want to start this review with a little disclaimer. I'm a fan of the original six Dune novels, but I was introduced to Dune, as an adult, with House Atreides. I devoured that trilogy and moved onto the original six novels and have loved the Duneverse ever since. That was 14 years ago and every year I either re-read several Dune novels or catch up on the latest release. I'm thankful for Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert carrying on this legacy. The additional novels will never be like the originals, but I appreciate them for what they are - a delightful continuation of the Dune saga. I'm part of #TeamAtredies and #TeamSisterhood. Ever since House Atreides I've been fascinated by the history behind both of these parts of Imperium.

In the trilogy set around the thinking machines we learn about how the feud between the Atreides and the Harkonnens began, and it is still in full force in Sisterhood of Dune. Griffen Harkonnen goes to find Vorian Atreides and to avenge his family. Meanwhile his sister, Valya, attends the Sisterhood to become a sister and discovers a very ailing school.

In Sisterhood of Dune I quickly got swept up in the action across the Imperium. I was fascinated by how many industries, that we take for granted in the later books, made their start in the recovering Imperium. Norma Cenva, who developed the fold space technology, is still alive and the Venport Holdings is trying to take over all of the space travel.

I listened to Sisterhood of Dune on audio and I enjoyed Scott Brick's interpretation of all the characters. While there is more of a full cast on the originals, Scott Brick does a great job of capturing the atmosphere of the troubling Imperium and it was a enjoyable listen.

Sisterhood of Dune was a re-read for me (first time listening on audio) and it was the perfect way to catch up before I start Mentats of Dune (which was released today). If you are new to the Duneverse, I recommend starting with the classic Dune.

About this Audiobook:
Written by: Brian Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson
Narrated by: Scott Brick
Length: 20 hrs and 39 mins
Series: Dune Saga, Book 17
Series: Schools of Dune, Book 1
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:01-03-12
Publisher: Macmillan Audio

No comments:

Post a Comment