Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Audiobook Review: The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett

I'm a huge fan of Terry Pratchett's writing, in particular his Discworld series. I've re-read many of the books multiple times and I've decided to listen to them as audiobooks for the first time. The first one up is The Light Fantastic, which follows the adventures of Rincewind, the Wizard, and Twoflower, the tourist, in Ankh-Morpork. Part of this adventure starts in The Color Magic and continues on in The Light Fantastic. It's high adventure for Rincewind, as he has a history of running away from trouble, but it seems trouble is chasing him!

There is so much to love about the Discworld, and especially the first two books in this series. I love Twoflower for many reasons. One is that my career is the same as his - he sells insurance (or in-sewer-ants as he describes it to Rincewind). He's definitely a glass-is-half-full kind of guy and a perfect match for Rincewind, who is sure the glass is pretty empty. It's fun when these two get together, especially with their invincible Luggage along for the ride, and Conan the Barbarian, who is almost reaching 90!

I really enjoyed this on audio. I have only listened to one other Discworld on audio (Raising Steam) and I'm glad that Nigel Planer's narration lived up to my expectation. His voice for Death is just perfect, as was the scene where Twoflower teaches Death and several gods to play cards! After imagining all these voices in my head for the last two decades of reading these novels, I'm glad to discover that the audiobooks are just as fantastic. I plan to listen to more on audio.

About this Audiobook:
Written by: Terry Pratchett
Narrated by: Nigel Planer
Length: 6 hrs and 59 mins
 Series: Discworld, Book 2
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:12-16-99
Publisher: ISIS Audio Books

No comments:

Post a Comment