Friday, December 20, 2013

Audiobook Review: Night of Cake & Puppets by Laini Taylor

In a novella from Laini Taylor, author of the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy, comes the story of a romance between Zuzana, Karou's human best friend, and Mik, the violin player. For those that have read the first two books in the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy, you will have met Zuzana and Mik, but for those that haven't discovered this series yet, this short story is a great place to learn about two secondary characters, that deserve a story of their own.

I listened to the audiobook of both Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Days of Blood and Starlight and was absolutely mesmerized by Khristine Hvam's narration. Zuzana leaps off the pages of the books and practically springs out of my ipod with her energy and I loved every second of her scenes. When I heard she was getting a novella of her own I was excited - although I'm pretty sure she thinks she deserves a entire book!! The reason I love Zuzana so much is that she has a fantastic friendship with Karou. She is there for Karou through thick and thin and believes in Karou. More than the romantic angles of both of their lives, I love the friendship between Zuzana and Karou. Karou plays a mild part in this story, via text messages, but this story is all Zuzana. And Mik of course!

The story is romantic and fun and tells of Zuzana and Mik really meeting for the first time and finding each other and a first date of sorts. It is so romantic and it made me want to run out and seize the world as Zuzana and Mik do.

I LOVE Khristine Hvam's narration of these characters. I haven't listened to her narrate any other series yet but I plan to soon. She's narrates Zuzana and Karou so perfectly and I couldn't imagine anyone else doing the narration. I recently finished listening to Kevin T Collins narrate Beautiful Creatures so it was interesting to hear him narrate Mik, which is a completely different accent. He does a great job of narrating Mik's feelings as he goes on a treasure hunt of sorts for Zuzana. Kevin T Collins' is definitely on my radar of narrators to listen to more in the future.

Recommended for urban fantasy fans and readers that are looking for something a little different, but still romantic.

About this Audiobook:
Written by: Laini Taylor
Narrated by: Khristine Hvam, Kevin T. Collins
Length: 2 hrs and 46 mins
 Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:12-05-13
Publisher: Hachette Audio

No comments:

Post a Comment